Building your future

What are my options for victim compensation?

As a survivor of domestic abuse, you have legal options to receive compensation for the harm you have endured. Options for victim compensation include: 

  • Applying for Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) funds
  • Seeking criminal restitution from your harm doer
  • Filing a claim with a small claims court
  • Filing a civil lawsuit 

Each option has differing timelines, legal costs, and required confrontation with your harm doer. To determine if a method of compensation may work well for you, we recommended using the FreeFrom Compensation Compass Tool. It will ask questions about your priorities and then share detailed information  about relevant compensation options in your State. 

If you decide you would like to learn more about or seek victim compensation, you can find legal  support through WomensLaw. This is a nonprofit dedicated to making legal resources accessible to survivors, and has developed a tool called Places That Help.

You can also contact a direct service provider in your area, who can help connect you to local legal support.

Was this information helpful?
Thumbs up icon
Thumbsup text
Thumbs down icon
Checkmark icon

Sponsored by

Stay connected with FinAbility

Sign up to receive emails with updates, resources, and ways to get involved
Two white talking bubbles
* indicates required
x icon